Thursday, March 01, 2007

mahabalipuram

there's a man on the ground half alive and barely breathing flies on his wounds eyes pinched closed unable to move he's planted himself on the ground. naked wounds exposed to the unforgiving sun he's landed right in front of a store with a sign that reads: medicine. i walk by scoping the streets for a cyber cafe someplace to check my emails write some words down. getting good at saying no. "come see my shop? not far walk. close. good prices." NO. today a woman holding a child asked "you want a baby?" NO. "take it." she offered. handmade crafts. nothing like it in the world, a man promises. i apply some more sunscreen and search for shade.

i'm alone. we arived two hours ago in mahabalipuram, a small beach town south of chennai, where there are many other travelers more than we've seen thus far, lots of dreadlocked british twenty-somethings looking for a party. after negotiating for a hotel price we liked and settling in, the gang went off to the beach. i took to the village, wandering aimlessly soaking up the sun.

stone carvings the sounds of marble chipping as i walk. fish drying in the sun. shells on strings. fabric blowing, bleaching in the breeze. i have so much laundry to do. everything i have is filthy. remembering chennai. we visited a school for "spastic adults" (mentally handicapped) and i clowned with them, pretended to get stuck under their wheelchairs, stole their drool hankie and dropped and slipped on it and picked it up and returned it.

as i write this a small boned dark indian woman in a shawl sweeps under my feet with a branch.

in chennai we were greeted by usha a woman who uses her shoulders a lot when she speaks. kinda like she's shrugging off the parts she doesn't like, constantly discarding something. she has sweet eyes and a classic smile and she takes us to a dance performance which is amazing. the music was incredible and the performers faces told stories there are not enough words to tell.

we have now performed ESCAPE ARTIST for over 12,000 people. articles with pictures of us have been popping up in the local papers daily, and yesterday's daily chronical had a few quotes from me. i got interviewed by some camera crew and a chessy capped-teethed reporter as well. they asked me what i ate to be able to fall down so much.

children outside are coughing and screaming words i can't know. cars are honking. it smells like fish and spices and sweat and diesel fuel.

it's too hot to stay in here. i need to pay my 40 rupees and find a place with a/c.

more soon.

2 comments:

Naresh said...

Hey,
I read about you in the paper and We run a school for the poor in Mahabalipuram. - How long are you guys here - My name is Naresh and my phone number is 9840739984.

The school s called Achiever Academy - We will be glad if you guys can visit and just talk to the children there.

Naresh Asher

Anonymous said...

Hey Evan,

I have been keeping up on all of your posts, all of which have been extremely fascinating.

I have a million questions, but I feel they are more appropriate to ask when I see you since I want you to stay focussed and not take up your time.

I do have a couple questions on perspective, though:

1) Do you think the lady asked you to take the baby because you are American?

2) Are the performances aimed at a specific group of people and why so (you mentioned the age group 4-17, and also a performance for disabled children)?

Foremost, I want to say that I am proud of everything you are doing there. I wish I could be there to help to. Next time, if you want more company, I would be glad to go and do whatever I can to help.

I love how you express the mentality of everybody there, especially how adults still have a twinkle in their eyes (hope).

Keep posting, and I will keep reading.

Keep your heart where it is.

Cameron